Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Teach the Truth of Hell

"I must feel the truth of hell - that it exists and is terrible and horrible beyond imagining forever and ever. I must feel the truth that once I was as close to hell as I am to the chair I am sitting on - even closer. I must feel the truth that God's wrath was my head. I must feel in my heart that all the righteousness in the universe was on the side of God and against me. I say to you, on the authority of Scripture, remember, remember, remember the horrid condition of being separated from Christ, without hope and without God, on the brink of hell. When the heart no longer feels the truth of hell, the gospel passes from good news to simply news. The intensity of joy is blunted and the heart-spring of love is dried up."
- John Piper

Source: Brothers, We're NOT Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry. Piper, John. B&H Publishing. Nashville, TN. 2002. 114-116.

No comments:

Post a Comment